Sussex Service Authority Polices & Procedures
Sussex Service Authority Policies & Procedures Policy Maint - 01
Customer Lateral Cleaning
Effective March 21, 2023, the following policy will be in effect regarding the Service Authority cleaning out customer’s laterals located on their property.
1. Lateral cleaning
- The Sussex Service Authority will not go on a customer’s property to inspect or clean out a customer’s lateral.
- Once a customer calls the Authority to report a sewer backup, and they are the only customer with backup issues, the Authority will send someone out during regular business hours to check the main line. If others are having issues the Authority will send someone regardless if it is after hours. If the Authority goes to a customer’s home, they will only check the sewer main. If the sewer main is running properly, the Authority will notify the customer that our main is running properly and the blockage is in their lateral and they should contact a plumber.
- If the customer’s plumber is unable to clear the blockage or claims that the Authority is at fault, we will send someone out a second time to meet with the customer’s plumber to discuss why it is believed to be the Authority’s issue.
- If the customer has a clean out at the edge of the property or pays someone to install one at the edge of the property, the Authority will inspect the sewer main to determine that it is running properly and if it is running properly the Authority will then offer to clean from the clean out at the edge of the property to the sewer main with the sewer jet to clear that portion of the customer’s lateral. Before Sussex Service Authority staff can use the sewer jet, the customer must sign a waiver that we are not responsible should our sewer jet cause damage to the customers lateral or residence from the cleanout back to the residence to clear the obstruction. If it is found that it is in the customer’s lateral between the clean out and our main, the Authority will then charge them a $150.00 fee on their next bill. If the customer’s lateral is determined to be broken or disconnected beyond the customer’s property line, the Authority will then have the necessary repairs made.
- a) If a customer is notified that the issue is in their lines and the Authority is called back within that same week and the problem is found to be the same issue, the customer will be charged an hourly rate for our technician’s time on the customer’s next bill to reimburse the Authority.
- b) The Authority is not responsible for customer’s plumbing costs.